Sunday, January 5, 2014

A "Happy" Anniversary

Usually when I think of an anniversary, I think of a time to celebrate an important, joyous event in one's life.  However, not all anniversaries celebrate the original event.  Sometimes the anniversary itself is a time of joy when thinking about the events and circumstances that have followed the original event.

Today is the one-year anniversary of my dad being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  This anniversary we do not celebrate the diagnosis, but we do celebrate the remission of the cancer.  It was not an easy journey, but it was one that showed how abundantly God loves us and allowed others to show their love for and to my parents.

A year ago was shocking and overwhelming to hear the diagnosis.  I knew before my dad was diagnosed that the survival rate for a person with pancreatic cancer was extremely low, so when the diagnosis came to say I teared up would be an understatement.  I bawled.  I mean, how could my dad have cancer?  Why him?  While I was growing up it was always my dad who put others first.  He drove the oldest car (usually without air conditioning).  Even though he was exhausted from his day at work, he would play with us as soon as he got home.  He read books to us nightly.  He taught us about God and showed us what a godly father is.  He took the time to let us know we were important and loved.  If anyone did not deserve to have cancer it was my dad.   

Then I remembered that no matter what, God was in control.  For someone who likes to control things down to the tiniest detail like I do, you would think this would have been hard for me.  However, once I decided to hand over my fears and desire for control to God, He granted peace to me and a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

A year ago we would not have imagined that less than a year later my dad would be cancer free.  So though this anniversary does not bring joyous memories of the event itself, it is a happy anniversary since today he can celebrate his being cancer free.  Now my children will get to know this selfless, godly man I do.  So, Happy Anniversary to my dad.  You are loved beyond words!

{My parents in October 2012, pre-diagnosis}
{photo credit: Phil Hyman Photography}

{At the beach, June 2013, after months of chemotherapy}

{At my nephews' first birthday, November 2013}

For more information on pancreatic cancer, please visit the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment