Thursday, January 2, 2014

Breakfast Sausage Bread


Every Christmas for a couple of years now I have made a sausage bread for breakfast on Christmas morning.  The recipe makes two loaves, one of which I freeze for later.  Both of my picky eaters eat this bread and my husband always eats seconds.  He rarely eats seconds of anything, so I take this as a compliment.  I think this next year I will make the bread the day before and put the one for Christmas morning in the fridge.  After I thaw the frozen one, I just slice it and put it in the toaster oven to make the outside edges crispy again.  

I get the dough from my local grocery store bakery instead of buying the frozen loaves.  You could do this too if your store doesn't have the frozen loaves.  The bread looks and smells so great when I pull it out from the oven!  It's hard not to pick on it before I let everyone else eat some.


Breakfast Sausage Bread

Ingredients

2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen white bread dough, thawed
1/2 pound mild pork sausage
1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
1-1/2 cups diced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 eggs
2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled.  Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble sausage.  Add mushrooms and onion.  Cook and stir until the sausage is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.  Cool.  Beat 1 egg, set aside.  To sausage mixture, add 2 eggs, cheese and seasonings; mix well.  Roll each loaf of dough into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle.  Spread half the sausage mixture on each loaf to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting at a narrow end; seal edges.  Place on a greased baking sheet (or line sheet with parchment paper).  Bake at 350° for 25 minutes; brush with beaten egg.  Bake 5-10 minutes more or until golden brown.  Serve and enjoy!

Recipe Credit: Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment