Monday, February 17, 2014

Zesty Chicken Pot Pie


This chicken pot pie recipe is one of those go-to recipes any time I am in the mood for some comfort food.  Almost every time I make this for someone, they want the recipe so I figure I will share it with everyone now.  

My sister-in-law first introduced me to this pot pie several years ago.  Ever since then, this is the only chicken pot pie I make.  I warn you, once you eat this one you will never want another kind of chicken pot pie again!

I usually get an already-cooked rotisserie chicken from my local grocery store.  The chicken has enough meat on it to make two pies (three if it is really large).  I make one to cook for supper that night and another one to freeze for later.  


You can change this recipe in order to accommodate different tastes and diets.  You could substitute turkey for the chicken.  There are also several options for the crust in order for it to be gluten-free.  Pillsbury has gluten-free dough you can find here that seems to get good reviews.  Other gluten-free pie crust suggestions can be found here.

This pie is really easy to assemble and tastes absolutely delicious.  Just don't blame me if you can never again eat grandma's chicken pot pie after this!

{Ready to mix--looks so pretty!}

Zesty Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

1-1/2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese (12 oz.), cubed
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 cups chopped chicken
2 pkg. (10 oz. each) frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans,peas), thawed
1 env. (0.7 oz) Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
1 ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of 14.1-oz pkg)

Directions

Heat oven to 425°F. Cook cream cheese and broth in large saucepan on low heat until cream cheese is completely melted, stirring frequently with whisk.  Stir in chicken, vegetables, and dressing mix.

Spoon into 9-inch pie plate.  Cover with pie crust; seal and flute edge.  Cut several slits in crust to allow steam to escape.  Place pie plate on baking sheet.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Make Ahead Directions

Prepare as directed except for baking.  Wrap securely; freeze.  When ready to bake, unwrap.  Place strips of foil around edge to prevent over-browning.  Bake frozen pie in 425°F oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until heated through.


Recipe Credit: Kraft Recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment